How do I file for my property tax deductions?

You can file for your Homestead deduction online here: E-File Deductions

All other deductions must be filed in person because they require us to see additional documentation to verify that you qualify. You can stop by any time between 8:00am and 4:00pm to file. You do not need to schedule an appointment or meeting.

What information or documentation do you require to file for property tax deductions?

Homestead - Social Security and driver's license/state ID numbers for adult residents of the property.

Mortgage - Name of closing lender and amount of the loan.

Over Age 65 - Most recent IRS Form 1040 and driver's license/state ID.

Disabled Vet - Certificate of Eligibility from the Veteran's Administration office.

Blind/Disabled - Most recent IRS Form 1040 and Social Security awards letter or other proof of disability/blindness.

Why was my application for a deduction rejected?

There are a number of reasons why an application for a deduction might be rejected. The most common reasons are that the form was filled out incorrectly, you already have that deduction on file, or the necessary documentation (deed, has not yet been recorded. We typically include the reason for rejecting your application in the email that you receive notifying you of the rejection.

When is the deadline to file for my property tax deductions?

Deductions must be filed by December 31st in order to take effect on the next year's property tax bill.

If you close on a new home during December, we may not be able to approve the application before the deadline depending on how long it takes to get the deed recorded. In those cases, the deadline can be extended through January 31st.

Is there currently a deduction on my property?

You can find all kinds of information about your property, including what deductions are currently in place here: Property Tax Info

When do I need to re-file for my deductions?

You do not need to re-file for your deductions annually, but there are a few circumstances that require a new application.

If you changed the way that you hold title to your property or added/removed an individual from the title, you will need to re-apply for the Homestead deduction, and possibly your other deductions as well. Contact us by phone or email to check on that for you.

Why did my tax bill increase?

There are three reasons why your tax bill may have increased:

1. One or more of your deductions is no longer applied to your property. You can view what deductions are currently in place on your property here: Property Tax Info

2. The tax rate for your taxing district has gone up. You can view and compare the current tax rates for all taxing districts here: Tax Rates

3. The assessed value of your property has gone up. You will need to contact the Assessor's Office for details about this issue.

When are tax bills due?

Tax bills are paid in two installments. The spring installment is typically due May 10th and the fall installment is typically due November 10th. You can contact the Treasurer's Office for more information about property tax due dates.

How can I get another copy of my property tax bill?

The Treasurer's Office can provide you with another copy of your tax bill.

How is my property tax bill calculated?

The property tax bill calculation process is complex, and there are a number of factors that can change from one property to the next. You can find the basics of how a bill is calculated here: How Does the Auditor's Office Calculate My Tax Bill? If you have more in depth questions in regards to this process, we recommend that you reach out to us by phone or email.

How can I change the mailing address on file for my property?

You can request to have the mailing address for your property updated in our system at any time by calling or emailing our office. We hope to have an online feature for this up and running soon.

How can I have my information removed from the public website?

Only certain at-risk individuals may request that their information be restricted on public websites. If you are a judge, law enforcement officer, surviving spouse of a law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty, victim of domestic violence, public official, or employee with the department of child services you can apply to have that information removed here: Restricted Access

How can I get an estimate of what my property taxes will be?

If you need an estimate of what your property taxes will be for a future bill, we can calculate that for you. Just give us a call or send us an email.

Why is the previous owner’s name/incorrect owner’s name showing on my property?

If you recently purchased the property or updated the title, you need to allow at least 30 days for the new deed to be recorded.

If there have been no recent changes made, then we will need to investigate how the previous deed lists the ownership. There could be something that was missed or possibly never recorded. Contact us by email or phone so that we can resolve this issue.

Can I get a copy of my deed?

The Recorder's Office can provide you with a copy of your deed for a small fee.